Programme Category: Sacred Universe
Date: 7-12 May, 2012
Venue: Small Hall, Thailand Cultural Center, Bangkok, Thailand
Many countries are today co-operating with one another for security and economic reasons. European countries have formed an alliance, the European Union (EU) while in Southeast Asia, Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Lao PDR, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, and Vietnam are part of a regional association called ASEAN.
These nations differ significantly in levels of development, and have diverse cultures, ethnicities, religions and histories. In view of the differences, co-operation is very important; and to co-operate, understanding and appreciating the different culture, beliefs and ways of life are necessary.
The primary aim of this forum is to provide opportunities for teachers of music and dance of the ASEAN countries to share ideas, and form co-operation in teaching their traditional arts in the schools. In this regard, the Ministry of Culture, SEAMEO Regional Centre For Archaeology and Fines Arts (SPAFA), and Thailand Music Educators Association (TMEA) are collaborating in organizing this forum.
This forum enables the participants to:
• gain knowledge and understanding of ASEAN traditional music and dance
• apply knowledge of ASEAN traditional music and dance in schools,
• realize the importance of teaching ASEAN traditional music and dance in the school classes,
• obtain information on curricula in ASEAN traditional music and dance; and
• engage in collaboration and exchanging of knowledge among ASEAN countries.
- gain knowledge and understanding of ASEAN traditional music and dance,
- be able to apply the knowledge in school classes,
- realize the importance of ASEAN traditional music and dance, and design their curricula accordingly,
- form stronger relationships among ASEAN communities.