THE FIFTH ISEAA EARLY CAREER AWARD
The Institute for Southeast Asian Archaeology announces the fifth round of the biennial award of $1000 for early career Southeast Asian archaeologists
Committee Charge: The committee solicits nominations and selects recipients for the Early Career Award in Southeast Asian Archaeology. The committee selects a single peer-reviewed article or chapter published within five years of the lead author’s receipt of doctorate that exemplifies excellent application of current archaeological theory to Southeast Asian data.
Award Cycle: Every two years
Committee Chair: Grace Barretto-Tesoro (email@example.com)
Committee Members: Grace Barretto-Tesoro (University of the Philippines), Bérénice Bellina-Pryce (National Centre for Scientific Research), Alison Carter (University of Oregon), Nigel Chang (James Cook University), Rintaro Ono (Minpaku National Museum of Ethnology)
Who Is Eligible to Submit Nominations or Apply for Award:
1. Self-nominations are sought, but applicants are encouraged to work with mentors if desired in developing their applications.
2. Nominations may be made by any professional archaeologist who holds a PhD.
3. Nominees must have defended their dissertations and received their Ph.D. degree within the five-year period from 31 August 31, 2018 to 1 September 2023.
Nomination/Submission Materials Required:
1. Nomination letters should be submitted by email to the committee chair
2. PDF of one published article or chapter
3. Updated curriculum vitae (include the date of the successful defense or final award of doctorate)
4. Two-page letter that includes the lead author’s current address and a scholarly description of why the publication is an exemplary application of current archaeological theory to Southeast Asian data.
Nomination/Submission Deadline: December 1, 2023
Selection or Evaluation Criteria: Submitted articles and chapters are evaluated and ranked by committee members on factors including originality and quality of research and strengths of application of current archaeological theory to Southeast Asian data. Both mainland (Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Myanmar [Burma], and Malay peninsula) and island (island Malaysia, Indonesia, Philippines, East Timor, Brunei, and Singapore) are included.
Committee Deliberation Process: The committee evaluates submitted articles and chapters though a series of electronic meetings. Honorable Mention(s) may be recognized at the discretion of the committee. The selection will be announced about June 1, 2024.
[View/Download above details as a PDF file, HERE.]